Saturday 12 October 2013

High Peak Railway, Lens issues and being locked out!!

After a pleasantly slow start out with Tikka and her trusty ball, we needed a plan for the day. It was raining, not exactly heavily, but enough to make a days walk less than appealing; particularly as reports suggested it may worsen. This was also the point at which I noticed that my right Berghaus boot was leaking... I'd decidedly soggy wet for that squelched each time I took a step - that'll be two set of boots with holes in the right sole this short break!

Disappointed and frustrated with my lens issue from yesterday, and the disinterest of the seller in the problem, I decided that since I'd never managed to take a decent shot with it, and it was useless in my kit, I'd visit London Camera Exchange [LCE] in Derby to send it away to be fixed. We'd then drive up to Matlock and travel on the steam train that runs the short distance to Rowsley.

At LCE they had a Canon 24-105 on the shelf and so I tested it and compared it to mine... ping... sharp images with the image stabiliser on and slightly fuzzy with it off... and mine... slightly fuzzy with it off and downright awful with it on... It was then that I had an accident... The chap offered me a non unreasonable sum for my current lens and a slight discount on the new one... and taking into account the likely cost of repair of my current one [I'd heard via numerous forums that Canon would be most unlikely to carry out the repair for free; despite it not being fit for purpose from day one], I parted with some cash and walked out with a the shiny new lens that actually worked this time... oops...

While back in civilisation for a few days I thought I'd also deal with my leaky boot problem too... rather than spend out another load on yet another pair of boots, I thought I'd try the waterproof sock avenue. Blacks obliged, and along with a couple of technical long an short sleeved T-shirts we were on our way to Matlock.

I felt oddly excited about going on a steam train [or at least in one of the carriages]. I've never been into trains [other than my Hornby as a kid], but I was clearly happy so I didn't really analyse it too much.

Parking in the Sainsbury's car park we scampered over the pedestrian bridge just as the train pulled in. Even though I'm sure I'm doing quite well with my calorie intake this holiday I still somehow gravitated towards the Buffet Carriage... The nice lady served me a hot chocolate and some digestive biscuits and we took at seat. Within moment we were off up the track, Tikka standing on my lap looking out through the already steamed up windows [they were like it before we arrived!]

Passing through Derby Dale we arrived at Rowsley in about 20-30 mins and hopped off for a few moments walk.
Lord Phil [apparently]

On the return trip the lady at the buffet counter explained that the ticket allows two trips and why not travel again. It was wet and miserable outside and it was dry and jolly in here, so it seemed a nice idea. Except I'd only put two hours on the car ticket... however the lady had a plan... hop off at Matlock and then drive to Rowsley where the car park is free, then travel the second trip from Rowsley to Matlock and back. Crazy I thought... I'm not that into steam trains... and as one American tourist put it while talking to his wife as they walked past [seeing this strange man with grubby boots and trousers and a rather wet collie dog] "This is hardly the Hogwarts train is it"; bless I thought, delusional as ever. Never the less but that's exactly what I did; after a short car trip to Rowsley car park I had another hour or so of comfy warmness on a wet drizzly day chugging along in an old carriage pulled by a steam train. I was happy.

On the drive back to Rivendale I thought that, after Tikka and I had gone on a little walk, we'd pop into the site pub for a drink. We arrived to a lovely hot wood burning stove and I relaxed with a small glass of white wine [any amount of beer/lager just give me a minging headache next day these day, and it really was too early to start on a whisky]. In an hour or so we'd both dried off enough and headed back to the car outside; we were on the caravan site and it was only a few moments drive to the caravan.

Even on the short journey from the pub to the car we were both saturated again. Tikka hopped into the boot and I towelled her off and shut the two boot lids of the Honda CRV... and froze. Have you ever had that moment when you realise that your keys aren't in your pocket but are in fact in the boot, which is shut and locked [nice one Honda]. The analysis of the problem was quite short. Dog in car, windows shut, doors locked, keys for car and caravan next to Tikka, me outside at 1910 in the dark and it's raining. Solution, boot in a window [the rear heater wasn't working well so I was not too concerned at this - I'd end up buying a new one!], or phone for the AA. I'd spent enough today and didn't really fancy having my Sunday buggered up with waiting for a new window being fitted; being an old tank it may take a day or so to find one, if at all... perhaps a boot through an alternate window may lessen this part of this problem...

On the basis that Tikka had cuddled down and was in no immediate risk I phoned the AA. Within a few moments that nice lady confirmed that someone would be out to see me by around 8pm - I couldn't draw her on whether he would have a sneaky plan, or would boot a windows in.

At a few moments past 8pm, as updated by a text a little while before, a yellow AA van appeared and a cheery chap hopped out. Already briefed of the situation he had a quick look around and much to my joy confirmed that he'd have her open in a few moments... and he did... with the use of a plastic wedge, a blow up back and a nifty thin tube with a wire and knot at the end the passenger door was open. Brilliant. All I have to do now is decide where I can store a home made version of the same in case this idiot does it again. Quietly I decided that a magnetic box fixed to some underside component like I had on my first car would be the easier way to go... now where to find such a trinket... 

Tikka hoped out a in her usual nervous style allowed the chap to fuss her; although she was less inclined to take a dog biscuit from him [something else in his took kit!] but eventually got the idea.


No comments: